Responsibilities of an ABAP developer
Besides coding and developing a SAP module with the help of the programming language, ABAP developers perform a number of other tasks, some of which are given below:
- Understanding the needs and requirements of the clients by coordinating with their representatives and seeking clarity on every minute detail in order to provide the best possible solution.
- Consulting with professionals from other departments and those working on specific SAP modules such as SAP FI/CO, MM, HR and BW to ensure a consistent experience to the various users on the client’s side.
- Writing the code using ABAP programming language on the basis of the blueprint provided by the clients and performing regular tests on the usability of the code.
- Ensuring that all programs are completed in schedule as per the client’s guidelines and allocating appropriate resources to achieve this.
- Providing technical support to the end users in the form of troubleshooting guidelines and modifications to the system after it has been delivered. Training the end users and client representatives is also performed at this stage of the SAP ABAP software life cycle.
- To stay updated with the latest technological advancement and changes in the world of SAP development and adapting to these changes by self-training and research work.
Extensive prior experience in the field of ABAP programming and SAP modules is an essential skill set required for any person to pursue a career as an ABAP developer. They must have good analytical and problem solving skills in order to carry out their daily functions effectively. In depth knowledge of SAP systems such as FICO, MM and HR is also required for ABAP developers. Prior experience in object oriented programming, ABAP lists and other related fields is also a prerequisite for jobs in this field. In order to communicate with a number of people such as clients, users and other developers, they must possess excellent oral and written communication skills as well as good interpersonal abilities. They must have the capability to work well in a team-based environment as well as on their own since the organizational structure of ABAP developers varies from one company to another.
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or software engineering is the minimum educational qualification required for this job. Additional courses in SAP ABAP programming from a certified SAP training institute or an online source is also a requirement for the position of an ABAP developer. Knowledge about other programming languages and SAP modules is not mandatory; however those possessing it have an advantage over other applicants for the same job. Prior experience as an ABAP developer is also sought after by my hiring organizations.